Welcome to the fourth part of the According To Whim Season 2 'Fix'. This time I had to do some editing since the camera was in for repair and I couldn't review more tapes. The editing I have been doing is in an attempt to rebuild Episodes 3, 4, 5, and 6 of our public access television show: According To Whim (Season 2). Season 3 Episode 1 was also lost so I have included it as well. You can read the first part (and the full story) by clicking here.
Before I begin what I have been editing I thought I'd give you an update on the camera itself. By the time I have written this I have gotten the camera back. I paid the $351.00 and the camera was cleaned and the firewire port was replaced. It arrived back safely and I can do more tape reviewing.
While the camera was out I took the opportunity to get back to the most time intensive part of the whole project, the re-editing. In case you didn't know when we shoot a sketch or a scene we will shoot it from AT LEAST 3 angles and then some optional shots 'just in case'. That means there are a minimum of 3 tracks of video to edit together for the most basic of scenes. That means a lot of editing but it also means the scene looks good. All those alternative angles provide edit points to cover mistakes and tighten up the story line. I have been mainly editing Episode 3 but have strayed into 4 a little bit as well so you are going to see a little bit of everything here. Editing is being done in Adobe Premier. This list of edits and work I have done has infact covered a couple of weeks of work (including work after the camera came back).
- Reassociate files missing out of the project. Had an issue with bad file freezing during loading. Found file and deleted it from project.
- Edited S8 (which stands for Scene 8).
- Edited S9 (would like to add more cardboard rustling on audio track).
- More Editing of E3S11 (club scene). Really need new exterior shot of 'club'.
- Lots of missing audio cues. Searched and found them on an old .ISO on PC. Was able to re associate all back into project.
- Missing S10 (getting ready to go to club). This footage must have been lost. Will need a reshoot of this scene.
- Work on 'Our House' music video scene. Finished it but did some re-editing to make it look nicer (fit better).
- Complete rebuild of opening for show. The 'classical' opening and the fast music montage for each episode was rebuilt. I could have found a way to pull the opening from Episode 1 or 2 (which is in DIVX format from when I uploaded them to YouTube before the crash). I didn't want to do this because I am thinking that the quality would be really bad. I decided to just rebuild the whole thing. The 'classical' part of the opening is dead on but the montage is a little different but not too noticeably so.
- The show end credits were completed before the crash and saved (like all the other 'saved' footage and edits) only because I had sent a copy with Miguel to do some editing. I did do some altering of the dates and added our money donors who helped buy the new hardware (which we are still accepting donations... hint hint).
I will continue with more editing after the next (and final) tape review 'fix' blog. One more item I did want to talk about was an official According To Whim timeline. During all my editing and tape reviewing I was having to do more and more organization of footage on my hard drives and I felt it necessary to categorize the different years and types of footage into an easier to understand format so I choose to organize all (show type) footage into three groups... Season 1, Season 2, and Season 3. I have decided to file footage into these groups using this method:
- Season 1 - 2004 thru 2006
- Season 2 - 2007 thru 2009 (starting with the new camera)
- Season 3 - 2010 +
As for all other footage I have basically put it under a folder called 'Business' which includes actually for money work as well as all the donation videos we do.
Join me next time for the 5th part of the Season 2 fix. Peace out.